International Trade Law
The trade law services offered by us aim to assist clients in their legal needs relating to international trade transactions to ensure that their businesses are successful and all material legal requirements and risks are managed.
We have an international trade law practice that is specifically equipped and engaged to navigate your business through this complex legal matrix.
Some of our most recent international trade law experience includes the following:
- Lead advisors (legal) to the Government of South Africa in South Africa’s first ever dispute at the World Trade Organization’s Dispute Settlement Body.
- Undertook a Review of the Role, Responsibilities and Terms of Reference of the SADC Tribunal for the SADC Secretariat.
- Advised the SACU Secretariat on Unfair Trade Practices and drafted the Annex on Unfair Trade Practices to the SACU Agreement for the SACU Secretariat.
- Advised clients on exporting a multitude of products to various countries.
- Advised clients on establishing a presence in African markets.
- Advised client on legality of instituting an export tariff and the effect thereof on the entire industry.
- Advised client on potential legal remedies where non-GMO farmers’ crops are pollinated by GMO farmers.
- Advised a client on sunset review of anti-dumping duties and assisting in further remedial work.
- Advised various clients on Rules of Origin in order to benefit from preferential duties in terms of bilateral and regional free trade agreements.
- Advised SADC Secretariat on private standards within the context of sanitary and phytosanitary measures at the WTO.
- Advised SADC trade negotiators on the current Economic Partnership Agreements (EPA) with the European Union, with a specific focus on Investment, Services and Agriculture.
- Advised the Kingdom of Lesotho on its Trade in Services obligations at the WTO as well as domestic legislation.
- Advised several South African clothing manufacturers on customs tariff determinations.
- Advised South African clothing manufacturers and importers on import quotas on Chinese textiles.
- Advised a number of clients on anti-dumping and countervailing investigations initiated by South Africa’s International Trade Administration Commission.
- Assisted various clients with bringing applications for tariff increases.
- Rendered technical assistance to the South African Department of Trade and Industry on South Africa’s GATS commitments at the WTO.
- Assisted a client to enforce its rights under anti-dumping rules so that competing products would no longer be dumped.
- Advised various clients on customs classifications, valuations and tariff determinations.
- Assisting clients to comply with the requirements of the Customs & Excise Act.